People with fair skin that tends to burn are at higher risk of problems from indoor tanning than those with darker skin. Young people also have delicate skin and are more likely to damage it by using sunbeds.
You should NEVER use a sunbed if you:
- are under 18
- have fair or freckly skin
- burn easily
- have a lot of moles
- have had skin cancer in the past
- have a family history of skin cancer
- use medication that increases your sensitivity to UV
“Through its Sun Awareness Program, CDA has been committed to reducing incidence and mortality from skin cancer for more than 22 years. The PSA campaign, also on YouTube, is one way we can reach young women with this important health message. Since one Canadian dies of skin cancer about every seven hours, it is imperative that young people avoid deliberately seeking a tan.”
– CDA past president, Dr. Yves Poulin.
“Research shows 70 % of indoor tanners are female, primarily 16 to 29 years old. Indoor tanning at this age increases the risk of developing skin cancer. It is very important for women to be aware of the risks or artificial tanning.”
– Dr. Cheryl Rosen, national director of CDA’s Sun Awareness Program.
Leave a Reply